Professor Stephen Hawking Died At 76 And Here’s The Reason Why
“We have this one life to appreciate the grand design of the universe,” Hawking once remarked, and we lost him today at the age of 76. It is an intellectual loss that has left a literary vacuum in his wake. The famed theoretical physicist passed peacefully at his Cambridge, England home early this Wednesday, reported the family. His children,
Lucy, Robert, and Tim said, “We have deeply saddened that our beloved father passed away today. He was a great scientist and an extraordinary man whose work and legacy will live on for many years.
British physicist and black-hole theorist, Stephen Hawking suffered from ALS i.e. Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis and was diagnosed when he was 21 years old.
Read More: The Man That Sparked The ALS Ice Bucket Contest Has Sadly Passed Away
And while it was all known here’s all that you need to know about him.
1. Stephen Hawking’s died and his sad demise may be related to ALS: Huffington Post reported.
2. What is ALS?
ALS OR Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis is a group of neurological diseases that are responsible for nerve cells impairment. Nerve cells (neurons) are responsible for controlling the voluntary muscle movements (chewing, walking and talking.) ALS happens in a way to degrade all the voluntary muscle movements leaving the neurons gradually dead.
Stephen Hawking was diagnosed with ALS in 1963 and was left in a wheelchair ever since.
3. His death is been related to his struggle with ALS since 1963.
When diagnosed he said, "At the time, I thought my life was over and that I would never realise the potential I felt I had. But now, 50 years later, I can be quietly satisfied with my life."
4. While he was told that he’ll only be able to survive for two more years in 1963, he’s lived way beyond all expectations.
5. Even though the illness left him in a wheelchair and made him not able to speak without a voice synthesiser, he still set out to a life of cosmology.
6. He was the first to set out the ‘Theory of Cosmology’ as a union of relativity and quantum mechanics.
7. However, the reason of his death is unknown his family mentioned that he died peacefully at his home in England.
8. They said, “His courage and persistence with his brilliance and humour inspired people across the world.”
9. Although his life has been difficult ever since ALS, his spirit, and an unbound pursuit to understand the universe will always be remembered.
RIP Stephen Hawking!